Scotland is a country full to the brim of surprises and culture.
In light of this, we’ve created a list of things you may not know about the nation, give yourself a point of each answer and let us know below how many you knew.
- Scotland’s national animal is a unicorn and has been for over 2,500 years.
- 13% of the Scottish popular are ginger – making it the highest proportion of any country in the world.
- Scotland is considered the home & inventor of Golf, with the first recorded game happening in St. Andrews.
- Edinburgh was the first city to have an organised fire brigade. Look out for monument commemorating this achievement.
- Scotland has 790 islands, and each are beautiful. However, only 1/4th of them are inhabited.
- Chicken Tikka Masala was originated in 1971 in Glasgow, Scotland. The dish was created by a Pakistani chef after a customer complained his original curry tasted dry.
- There are more folk with Scottish heritage living in the US than there is in Scotland itself.
- Scotland’s wee town of Bonnybridge is the considered the UFO capital of the world with more than 300 sightings reported annually!
- Scotland boasts the world’s tallest hedge, standing at 1,700 ft in length.
- The importation of haggis to the USA has been illegal since the 1970’s – so you’ll just have to come here to enjoy it.